Wednesday 9 September 2009

ITIL - Is This Information Lucid

In IT every now and then a word, abbreviation or a catch phrase becomes the hot cross bun of the moment, the Jaffa cake with that little bit more Jaffa.

It could be said that ITIL to many recruiters and employers is one of those 'super phrases' that get people interested. 'ITIL certified', 'Red Badge Holder'....let me pause and say, 'OOOOOHHH, AAHHHH'.

ITIL - The ideology that can so often go so wrong! Oh so wrong.
I know ITIL, yes I am ITIL certified, and yes I am a red badge holder, (please no applause required), and YES, I DO BELIEVE IN ITIL.
Kind of like believing in God in some respects, you know the perfect situation is out there, you just cant see it. It about having faith, yes faith in IT and ITIL.

Let me stand on my soap box and position myself nicely....

ITIL to me is a great idea, a great guideline, a great place to strive to, but that's about it. It won't fix your IT department, it wont make your life easier.
In fact if implemented incorrectly it will make you life a living administrative hell in which there is little escape. Through working in IT I know all to well that an ITIL crazed leader can often be the downfall of very good intentions and strategy, as is an ITIL blind leader.

With the version upgrades and changing times even the most staunch ITIL lover must accept that ITIL is not a one size fits all, always right, unbending framework. ITIL is about showing you how to use your common sense, because essentially that's what ITIL is...loads and loads of pages of common sense.
I love the new life cycle of ITILv3, and I am an ITIL lover through and through, but I can only tell you now, that before you walk down Service focused IT road , round integrated functions bend and into ITIL compliant company, know what you want to get out of it, know you company's limitations, and know when too much is too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment